Each show has different casting requirements. See the individual show breakdowns for age limitations and roles available. Not all students who audition are guaranteed a role. The Theatre School @ North Coast Rep prides itself on smaller cast sizes and individual student focus.
There is a production fee of $400.00 required for each student after being cast. There is no fee for auditioning, and cast is not required to take classes with the Theatre School @ North Coast Rep. Production fee is discounted, however, to $200.00 if the student is also enrolled in a regular six-week class or two-week summer camp that runs parallel to show rehearsal/performance schedule.
A limited number of scholarships are available for need-based performers. Please request a scholarship application if you require financial assistance.
Unless otherwise noted, all auditions and rehearsals are held in our Theatre School space located two suites north of
North Coast Repertory Theatre:
987 Lomas Santa Fe Dr., Suite D
Solana Beach, CA 92075
Next to audition is:
By Elizabeth Lovelady
Based on the screenplay by Russel Rouse and Clarence Green
Performances – October 7-10, 2021
(in Theatre School Studio Space)
October 7th: 10AM & 5:30PM
October 8th: 10AM & 5:30PM
October 9th: 2:00PM & 5:30PM
October 10th: 2:00PM
Frank Bigelow walks into a police station to report a murder: his own. One day earlier, the small-time accountant kissed his girlfriend and secretary, Paula, goodbye and left on a trip to San Francisco with mysterious intentions. Shortly after he arrives, he’s invited to join a group of rowdy businessmen celebrating with their clients after a successful market week. After a wild night, he wakes feeling ill. A doctor and detective arrive to deliver tragic news—Bigelow has been poisoned, and he only has hours left to live. Bigelow frantically searches the city for his killer and the reason he was targeted. Each person he encounters gives him a piece of the story that includes a mysterious suicide, a shady business deal gone wrong, and conniving women. But can he believe anything he hears? Paula desperately searches for answers as Frank phones home with cryptic questions and an ever-increasing sense of doom. Will he unravel the mystery before his time runs out? Will the killer be brought to justice? An adaptation of the 1950s classic noir film, D.O.A. is a swiftly moving thriller that will keep audiences on the edge of their seats. With cigar-smoking detectives and gun-toting femme fatales, D.O.A. includes all the noir tropes plus updates to the story that will appeal to modern audiences.
Time period: August 1951
Settings of play: Several locations in Sacramento and San Francisco, Calif.
Run-time: 60 min, no intermission.
Type of Play: Murder Mystery Thriller
Suggested rating: PG – recommended for grades 2nd & up, but all audiences may enjoy.
Open to students ages 12-19 to audition
Auditions: Tuesday & Wednesday, Aug. 24th – 25th with callbacks Thursday, Aug. 26th, 2021
Rehearsals: Tuesdays through Fridays 4:30-8:30PM Aug. 31st – Oct. 1st, 2021
Tech/Dress Rehearsals: Tuesday & Wednesday 4:30-8:30PM Oct. 5th – 6th, 2021
CONTACT Ben@northcoastrep.org with additional questions or to schedule an audition appointment.
COVID Safety Guidelines for Theatre School student productions:
- This course will rehearse in our Theatre School classroom/rehearsal space: 985 Lomas Santa Fe Dr. Suite D, Solana Beach, CA 92075
- Masks must be worn at all times
- Students and Instructors will maintain social distancing at all times
- Hand Sanitizer is provided, and students are encouraged to maintain personal hygiene
- Temperature check will be administered prior to allowing students to participate in class
- If any student or family member of a student experiences symptoms of any illness, student must stay at home and self-quarantine for at least 48 hours before returning for the next class period
- Families will be required to sign a form agreeing to adhere to these health and safety procedures and stating that they are aware there is still a risk of exposure in participating in our program
This is a NON-Musical production, but has some moments of accompaniment and song.
*Students should prepare a 1-2 minute Contemporary or Shakespeare monologue. Monologues are a short speech delivered by one character and can be from any play, musical, movie, or book. If you’re having difficulty finding a monologue, you might check out audition monologues books at your local library or book store, or try online at a monologue site like this. Or another monologue site like this.
Or, try this link for Shakespeare monologue suggestions.
Initial Audition appointments should only take about 5-10 minutes.
Putting on a live theatre production with kids is a rewarding and educational process that is more than just practicing for a performance. Like much of life, the rehearsal process is most of the experience. The golden moments on stage are great, but rehearsal is where we find out what we can do together. And then the performances shine!
For this reason, we tend to request most or all actors to most of the rehearsals. We do our best to make sure that students are active and engaged while they are with us, while still allowing for breaks and socializing. Students may also use time off stage or during breaks to do homework.
It is possible that not all actors will be called at all times for all rehearsals, but please list any conflicts within this rehearsal period on audition form. Knowing a student has a conflict allows us to make the best use of student’s time while they are in rehearsal. Some conflicts may be acceptable within the rehearsal period, but no conflicts will be allowed during Tech/Dress rehearsals or performances. Conflicts may influence casting decisions.
Students/parents will be asked to fill out an audition form with general student contact information and ALL POSSIBLE CONFLICTS during our process. No additional conflicts will be accepted beyond what is offered on the audition form. If frequent or repeated lateness and/or unexpected absences occur during the rehearsal process this may lead to a student’s lines being reassigned, student being removed from scenes, songs or even the dismissal from the entire production, and will affect future casting consideration. There is no refund in production fee if student is asked to leave the production.
Headshots and resumes are not required at auditions, but are always encouraged. If no headshot is provided at auditions we may ask to take a photo of the student to better reference their appearance in connection with their audition form during casting decisions.
This is an advanced level Theatre School @ North Coast Rep production. As with all Theatre School productions, it is possible that not all students who audition will be cast.
Contact Ben@northcoastrep.org with additional questions or to schedule an audition appointment.
General Audition Information:
- Auditions held on a show by show basis in the Theatre School Space located two suites down from: North Coast Repertory Theatre – 987 Lomas Santa Fe, Suite D – Solana Beach, CA 92075
- Auditions are open call, but scheduling an appointment is required.
- We recommend bringing a current headshot and resume, and insist that students know all conflicts within the rehearsal period.
- No conflicts will be permitted tech week or for the run of the performances.
- Rehearsals for student productions are typically after school hours during the school year, Tuesdays through Fridays usually 4:30PM to 8:30PM.
- Extended rehearsal times may be scheduled the week before the show opens for “Tech Rehearsals” and “Dress Rehearsals.” Rehearsal/Performance times may vary depending on the production or time of year. See specific rehearsal schedule for each show.
For questions, please contact: Ben@northcoastrep.org or call 858-481-2155 ext. 216 for any questions, more details about production fee, and parent involvement.