Each show has different casting requirements. See the individual show breakdowns for age limitations and roles available. Not all students who audition are guaranteed a role. The Theatre School @ North Coast Rep prides itself on smaller cast sizes and individual student focus.
There is a production fee of $400.00 required for each student after being cast. There is no fee for auditioning, and cast is not required to take classes with the Theatre School @ North Coast Rep. Production fee is discounted, however, to $200.00 if the student is also enrolled in a regular six-week class or two-week summer camp that runs parallel to show rehearsal/performance schedule.
A limited number of scholarships are available for need-based performers. Please request a scholarship application if you require financial assistance.
Unless otherwise noted, all auditions and rehearsals are held in our Theatre School space located two suites north of
North Coast Repertory Theatre:
987 Lomas Santa Fe Dr., Suite D
Solana Beach, CA 92075
Next to audition is:
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
By William Shakespeare
Touring Performances – March through May (Dates TBD)
(Show will travel to area High Schools and Middle Schools as an Outreach Tour)
There’s mischief in the woods! Magical fairies with love juice complicate two teen couples’ relationships. A group of silly actors are interrupted when one of them is transformed into a half-man/half-donkey creature that the queen of the fairies falls in love with. Join in the fun as they all try to sort out this comic mess!
This advanced level Theatre School @ North Coast Rep outreach production will include exciting sword fights, fantastical fairies, and some of the most memorable comic poetry crafted by the best playwright in the history of the English Language.
Time period: 9th Century BCE
Settings of play: Ancient Athens and the surrounding woods
Run-time: 45-50 minutes, no intermission.
Type of Play: Comedy
Suggested rating: PG – recommended for grades 2nd & up, but all audiences may enjoy.
Open to students ages 12-19 to audition
This advanced Theatre School @ North Coast Rep production will combine student actors as well as adult professional actors in the cast.
Auditions: Tuesday & Wednesday, Nov. 30th – Dec. 1st with callbacks Thursday, Dec. 2nd, 2021
Rehearsals: Tuesdays through Fridays 4:30-8:30PM Dec. 9th – Dec. 19th, 2021 & weekends in January
*Note that actors may not be called every rehearsal or for the entire time each day. Times listed reflect the window in which an actor may be called.
Looking for imaginative actors who are excited to tell stories physically, make big choices, take risks, and work together as part of an ensemble. Audition requirements are a single one-minute Shakespeare monologue.
*Monologues are a short speech delivered by one character and can be from any play, musical, movie, or book. If you’re having difficulty finding a monologue, you might check out audition monologues books at your local library or book store, or try online at a monologue site like this, or for Shakespeare monologues try here.
Initial Audition appointments should only take about 5-10 minutes. This is a NON-Musical production.
CONTACT Ben@northcoastrep.org with additional questions or to schedule an audition appointment.
This program is funded in part by the City of Carlsbad’s Cultural Arts Office and produced by special support from our very special Theatre School donors!
COVID Safety Guidelines for Theatre School student productions:
- This course will rehearse in our Theatre School classroom/rehearsal space: 985 Lomas Santa Fe Dr. Suite D, Solana Beach, CA 92075
- Masks must be worn at all times indoors if not fully vaccinated
- Students and Instructors will maintain social distancing at all times
- Hand Sanitizer is provided, and students are encouraged to maintain personal hygiene
- Temperature check will be administered prior to allowing students to participate in class
- If any student or family member of a student experiences symptoms of any illness, student must stay at home and self-quarantine for at least 48 hours before returning for the next class period
- Families will be required to sign a form agreeing to adhere to these health and safety procedures and stating that they are aware there is still a risk of exposure in participating in our program
Putting on a live theatre production with kids is a rewarding and educational process that is more than just practicing for a performance. Like much of life, the rehearsal process is most of the experience. The golden moments on stage are great, but rehearsal is where we find out what we can do together. And then the performances shine!
For this reason, we tend to request most or all actors to most of the rehearsals. We do our best to make sure that students are active and engaged while they are with us, while still allowing for breaks and socializing. Students may also use time off stage or during breaks to do homework.
It is possible that not all actors will be called at all times for all rehearsals, but please list any conflicts within this rehearsal period on audition form. Knowing a student has a conflict allows us to make the best use of student’s time while they are in rehearsal. Some conflicts may be acceptable within the rehearsal period, but no conflicts will be allowed during Tech/Dress rehearsals or performances. Conflicts may influence casting decisions.
Students/parents will be asked to fill out an audition form with general student contact information and ALL POSSIBLE CONFLICTS during our process. No additional conflicts will be accepted beyond what is offered on the audition form. If frequent or repeated lateness and/or unexpected absences occur during the rehearsal process this may lead to a student’s lines being reassigned, student being removed from scenes, songs or even the dismissal from the entire production, and will affect future casting consideration. There is no refund in production fee if student is asked to leave the production.
Headshots and resumes are not required at auditions, but are always encouraged. If no headshot is provided at auditions we may ask to take a photo of the student to better reference their appearance in connection with their audition form during casting decisions.
This is an advanced level Theatre School @ North Coast Rep production. As with all Theatre School productions, it is possible that not all students who audition will be cast.
Contact Ben@northcoastrep.org with additional questions or to schedule an audition appointment.
General Audition Information:
- Auditions held on a show by show basis in the Theatre School Space located two suites down from: North Coast Repertory Theatre – 987 Lomas Santa Fe, Suite D – Solana Beach, CA 92075
- Auditions are open call, but scheduling an appointment is required.
- We recommend bringing a current headshot and resume, and insist that students know all conflicts within the rehearsal period.
- No conflicts will be permitted tech week or for the run of the performances.
- Rehearsals for student productions are typically after school hours during the school year, Tuesdays through Fridays usually 4:30PM to 8:30PM.
- Extended rehearsal times may be scheduled the week before the show opens for “Tech Rehearsals” and “Dress Rehearsals.” Rehearsal/Performance times may vary depending on the production or time of year. See specific rehearsal schedule for each show.
For questions, please contact: Ben@northcoastrep.org or call 858-481-2155 ext. 216 for any questions, more details about production fee, and parent involvement.