The Theatre School @ North Coast Rep believes in the power of community, education, and creative expression.
Our classes and camps teach collaboration, communication, creativity, and critical thinking through interactive theatre games and performance which are essential tools for a well-rounded education and an emotionally intelligent adult. But most importantly, our students have SO MUCH FUN!!
Download our 2021/2022 Theatre School Season 40 Brochure to see all the fun options!
By Elizabeth Lovelady
Based on the screenplay by Russel Rouse and Clarence Green
Performances – October 7-10, 2021
(in Theatre School Studio Space)
October 7th: 10AM & 5:30PM
October 8th: 10AM & 5:30PM
October 9th: 2:00PM & 5:30PM
October 10th: 2:00PM
Frank Bigelow walks into a police station to report a murder: his own. One day earlier, the small-time accountant kissed his girlfriend and secretary, Paula, goodbye and left on a trip to San Francisco with mysterious intentions. Shortly after he arrives, he’s invited to join a group of rowdy businessmen celebrating with their clients after a successful market week. After a wild night, he wakes feeling ill. A doctor and detective arrive to deliver tragic news—Bigelow has been poisoned, and he only has hours left to live. Bigelow frantically searches the city for his killer and the reason he was targeted. Each person he encounters gives him a piece of the story that includes a mysterious suicide, a shady business deal gone wrong, and conniving women. But can he believe anything he hears? Paula desperately searches for answers as Frank phones home with cryptic questions and an ever-increasing sense of doom. Will he unravel the mystery before his time runs out? Will the killer be brought to justice? An adaptation of the 1950s classic noir film, D.O.A. is a swiftly moving thriller that will keep audiences on the edge of their seats. With cigar-smoking detectives and gun-toting femme fatales, D.O.A. includes all the noir tropes plus updates to the story that will appeal to modern audiences.
Time period: August 1951
Settings of play: Several locations in Sacramento and San Francisco, Calif.
Run-time: 60 min, no intermission.
Type of Play: Murder Mystery Thriller
Suggested rating: PG – recommended for grades 2nd & up, but all audiences may enjoy.
Open to students ages 12-19 to audition. Check out the audition requirements!
COVID Safety Guidelines for Theatre School classes & productions:
- Masks must be worn at all times indoors
- Students and Instructors will maintain social distancing at all times
- Hand Sanitizer is provided, and students are encouraged to maintain personal hygiene
- Temperature check will be administered prior to allowing students to participate
- If any student or family member of a student experiences symptoms of any illness, student must stay at home and self-quarantine for at least 48 hours before returning for the next class period
- Families will be required to sign a form agreeing to adhere to these health and safety procedures and stating that they are aware there is still a risk of exposure in participating in our program
- Audience members experiencing flu-like symptoms, such as fever, chills, and cough will not be allowed to attend performances. If you need to cancel your tickets due to illness, you may receive a refund by calling the box office prior to the start of performances.
- No food or drink is permitted during performances.
The generous support of our Theatre School Donors has made this production possible.
Thank you for supporting Excellence in Theatre Education!
Your donations make the work we do possible, If you’d like to join our list of sponsors, please contact Development Associate for North Coast Rep: Neville Engelbrecht, Neville@northcoastrep.org, 858-481-2155 ext. 211.